About Me

My photo
I am a male yellow Lab. My birth date is September 4th 2011. I am in training to be a guide dog for the blind. (guide dog school -Southeastern Guide Dogs) I'm my raiser's fifth guide dog puppy. She will keep me for (about) 1 year, then I will head off to harness training! Please feel free to follow my blog and keep up with: Brandon's Life... As a guide dog in training

My Furry Friends! (Feel free to join the pack!)

Friday, February 17, 2012

Career Changed

*(Written by Brandon's raiser)*

I received the devastating news Wednesday morning, that Rudy was career changed. I know I kept reminding you guys, that no matter how far any dog gets in their training phase (even once they're placed with a blind person) there is always a chance the dog could be career changed. (Some dogs just "develop" something out of the blue - which I assume, is what Rudy did), but it still came as a sudden shock to me.
Below is the email I found in my inbox:

Subject: Rudy was career changed this morning
"Hi there
I have just heard that Rudy has been career changed due to “general anxiety”. His fears mean that he can’t be considered for any service dog role – and he will be made available for adoption. I know this is always tough to hear – but for some of these puppies we raise – there are other plans for them.

Because you were his raiser – I want to see if you are interested in adopting him yourself. If so – let me know and we can probably arrange transport after WAT.

But you are not obligated at all – and if you can’t adopt him – the adoption program at the school is amazing with a long list of folks waiting to love on these dogs.

Please let me know what you decide.

With love and thanks again for all you meant for Rudy.

***"
It broke my heart to read this email, and it was extremely hard to email my Area Coordinator back, saying I'm unable to adopt Rudy.
Yes, I would LOVE to have him back, but I can't both adopt him & continue raising puppies (not enough room...).
 
I know Rudy will be placed in a loving home, but you don't know how hard it was for me to hear this news.
Rudy LOVED to work, he adored it; I think he enjoyed shopping out in the mall MORE than I ever did (I never could handle large crowds, but boy he was amazing at it!).
 
I'm still so shocked that he was career changed, more for the fact that it was for something he's never shown signs of before.
I know, it can happen at any time, for any reason; but it still hurts.
 
It makes it even harder, since I just received a new report card the day before (Tuesday), which I would have been posting this week, with a note that I hope he gets matched in the next class (coming up in just a few weeks).
 
I will keep you updated on ANY news I hear about him; if you didn't understand in the email I included above, Rudy will be adopted out, and not be evaluated for another career path (due to the reason he was career changed).
 
-Brandon & Rudy's Raiser
 
 
I miss my handsome & sweet boy!
Picture of Rudy & I sitting on the sidewalk, with lots of traffic in the background (puppy meeting)

20 comments:

Laura S Reading said...

This is sad news yet with a happy side. Anyone who goes this route of adopting has to be a special person and well screened.
It would be interesting to know if there was a trigger, and hopefully the adoptive family will spend time trying to learn what is behind the anxieties. I also hope that they would continue to allow Rudy to assist them in their daily lives, maybe even shopping?

Hugs to you as I know how hard it is to tell your baby he can't move back in.

rottrover said...

Allie, While I understand how disappointing this is for you, please remember that Rudy is a wonderful dog who may have another purpose for his life. My friend who did puppy raising for Guide Dogs for the Blind here in Southern California had one dog become a breeder and 2 become "career change dogs" due to "anxiety". One ended up in a wonderful family home as a pet and the second, Wizard, became HER heart dog/therapy dog during a long illness. She attributes her recovery, at least in part, to Wizard's presence in her life. Rudy will go on to do great things. After all he titled in Mango Minster 2011!!

Sending hugs to you. So sorry for your disappointment.

The Daily Pip said...

I am so sorry ... He must have another purpose in life and your training helped him realize that purpose. I am sure he will find a wonderful family and have a great life.

Your pal, Pip

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry that Rudy got career changed. It's prolly a little stressful being a guide dog and having all that responsibility. I would guess it's kinda like being a human see-EE-oh. Some humans are cut out for it and others just aren't.

I know that Rudy is gonna go to a super fantastic family, who he'll help just by being his wonderful Rudy-self.

We're sending hugs and brindle licks to you, Rudy's Raiser! You did a great job with him.

Wiggles & Wags,
Mayzie

Lisa and pups said...

Oh gosh, that news is never good to hear. So sorry. Many hugs and what an incredible gift you are giving someone to get Rudy as a beloved pet!

Angels Amber and Max DaWeenie and Mom said...

This is so very sad. The one bright side is that Rudy will be a wonderful trained dog when he gets into a new family. Remember, for every door that closes, another one opens.

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Maybe Dexter and Mango need a special furiend?

Seriously, thanks for sharing the news - albeit bittersweet -

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra and Phyll

Jans Funny Farm said...

Oh, this is such sad news. We know you did a good job of raising Brandon but things happen in life we just don't understand. The good news is that Brandon will be adopted into a family that loves him, just as you do. Hugs and pawhugs!

Two French Bulldogs said...

Oh my goodness, so sorry to hear about Rudy. We give you a lot of credit for doing the job you do. It must be very hard
Benny & Lily

River said...

Maybe he will still be able to do some work for his new family--just not officially. He was obviously highly trained...best wishes for his new life and hugs to you.

love & wags,
River

houndstooth said...

Now that we're raising a working dog, albeit for a very different job, I have a lot more appreciation for how much work it is. I know you did a great job with Rudy, and you never know. He may still go to somebody who needs him desperately, just not in the role you envisioned him having. Hopefully Brandon will have better luck!

Just Jess for now said...

Oh, I am so sorry to hear this. I can't even imagine how difficult this is for you. *hug*

HoundDogMom said...

We are sorry to hear about Rudy's career change. We had no idea these things could happen at anytime with a working dog. We pray Rudy will find a loving family soon. Sniffs, The HoundDogs

Dexter said...

Aw Rudy, to work so hard and then get tossed out. You poor thing. But you know what? I, Dexter, went to agility school with a service dog drop out just like you. He didn't pass muster to be an official service dog, but he was adopted by a lady who has sickies and needed a companion to help her out with stuff and he is doing great. So I sure hope you can find a human who will appreciate you and love you as you deserve.

Kisses,
Dexter

Elijah said...

Sorry to hear that! I hope he enjoys the rest of his life, though!

~Elijah & Hobart II

Elizabeth Keene said...

Oh, no. So sorry about the devastating news; I know you worked so hard with him and had such high hopes (and so close to his matching).

It is encouraging, though, that there are lots of people lined up to adopt career change dogs like Rudy. He will make someone a wonderful pet.

Cory said...

We know how hard this must have been for you. Rudy is such a special boy and I know he will make a family so happy. When we were planning on adopting (before we found Grete woofie) we considered adopting from Guide Dogs because they have a campus not far from our home and mom gets to see all the dogs in training downtown Portland. Mom got impatient waiting and so found our Grete woofie at Animal Control...but she remembers the application and they do screen so carefully.

Purrs,

Cory

Wilma said...

So sorry you recieved this news about Rudy. No matter what, Rudy is a wonderful dog who will make whoever he ends up with very happy.

Smile With Your Tail said...

Oh dear what such sad news! I'm sure he is going to find a wonderful new family though.

Big hugs and slobbers you you
xxx

Scooter said...

We are sorry to hear this news. But on the flip side, he will make a great loving dog for a family and you never know, he may be put with a family where he can provide his services to his family even though not as a Professional service dog, do you see what I mean??

wags
Jazzi and Addy