About Me

My photo
I am a male yellow Lab. My birth date is September 4th 2011. I am in training to be a guide dog for the blind. (guide dog school -Southeastern Guide Dogs) I'm my raiser's fifth guide dog puppy. She will keep me for (about) 1 year, then I will head off to harness training! Please feel free to follow my blog and keep up with: Brandon's Life... As a guide dog in training

My Furry Friends! (Feel free to join the pack!)

Sunday, January 23, 2011

CPR for DOGS?

That's furry right... at our guide dog meeting yesterday; we not only practiced our commands/obedience... we also learned about Health/First Aid, CPR & the Heimlich Maneuver for DOGS.
We started off with some obedience (normal sit/down/stand stay, forward, right/left, and such). Then we did a short puppy swap (5-10 min) and kept working with obedience. Seems as though I was a little more interested in paying attention to my raiser; then to the person that had me :) But that is the reason why we do these puppy swaps.
My raiser was very impressed when she was working me, and did notice that I did extremely well with the dog distraction issues I have. (she puts me in a sit-stay X feet away from the dog(s) and slowly moves closer - continuing the sit-stay, if I break it... then we move back. The goal is for the raiser's to be able to great each other... while the dogs ignore each other).
After they worked the wiggles out of us; we all sat down and our AC did a 45+ minute talk on Health/First Aid for dogs (which my raiser really did enjoy and learned a whole lot from!).
They learned things from caring for ear infections, taking a dog's pulse, doing CPR and much more!
My raiser did get to use the Heimlich Maneuver on ME (which I didn't care for...), but CPR & Mouth to "Snout" is something they weren't allowed to test on us (thank goodness!). But the AC did say they are getting a "CPR" dog for the next meeting.
My raiser said it was a great meeting - and to make things better... we were also given the guide dog harness to bring home! (pictures coming soon).
Enjoy the pictures below - I'm off to hope I NEVER start choking and need my raiser to give me the Heimlich Maneuver!

Rudy
The dog with a blog


Picture of Rudy in coat doing a sit-stay
Picture of Rudy in coat doing a stand-stay
Picture of Rudy in coat doing a forward walk inside

Um... Mom... WHAT ARE YOU DOING??
Picture of me giving Rudy the Heimlich Maneuver

Picture of Rudy sleeping beside me; while we are watching a power point presentation on health/first aid for dogs

7 comments:

Two French Bulldogs said...

Oh Rudy mom was saving you and you weren't even choking
Benny & Lily

Angels Amber and Max DaWeenie and Mom said...

Looks like a great day of togetherness!!!!!

bbes tribe said...

Rudy you are VERY handsome and it sounds like an exceptional "student". That heimlich looks interesting. Your Mom was just practicing in case she needed to help you sometime. It is a good thing - even if you were not comfy with it. Our Mom wants to learn it. Now you've started something.
Tailwags
Ernie,Sasha,Chica

Pat Wahler said...

It's a good thing to know first aid which, hopefully, won't ever be needed.

Pat
www.critteralley.blogspot.com

Maggie Mae and Max said...

Rudy,

i sure hopes your raiser never has to use her new found skills on any pups, especially you! :)

Woofs and Licks,
Maggie Mae

Doris Sturm said...

I want to learn how to give CPR and do the Heimlich on my dog, Gizzy. He's just a little guy - 10.5 lbs. and I'd have to be very careful, I'm sure...but it's a good thing to know so we can help our best friends when there is no Vet available...

Hi, Rudy, you're such a big dog now...hope you're doing well.
Love,
Gizzy and his mom

3 doxies said...

Oh dis is such important stuffs...doggie CPR. Mum has always wanted to do it but da timing wasn't right when it was bein' offered.

Hehehehe...dat next to da last foto be crackin me up.

Puddles