About Me

My photo
I am a male yellow Lab. My birth date is September 4th 2011. I am in training to be a guide dog for the blind. (guide dog school -Southeastern Guide Dogs) I'm my raiser's fifth guide dog puppy. She will keep me for (about) 1 year, then I will head off to harness training! Please feel free to follow my blog and keep up with: Brandon's Life... As a guide dog in training

My Furry Friends! (Feel free to join the pack!)

Monday, January 10, 2011

Toby is a Working Dog!

(Written by Rudy's Raiser)
**This post DOES include what work Toby will doing - and NEW updates about him**
Remember the post Rudy did back in December? About Toby finding a NEW job to do? After the school found out he had severe allergies - they were left with the decision to Career Change Toby - or adopt him out as a pet. I was told the school loved how Toby worked, and they decided to evaluate him for the Gifted Canine program (He'd be a service or therapy dog - maybe for an injured veteran or a disabled child). I heard in November 2010 that it was official - Toby was to be "let go" (adopted out) as a pet. And of course - he was offered back to me. It was a hard thing to say "no" I won't take my pup back, some of you guys may have said "yes" in a heart beat - but for many reasons (that can't be listed) I had to say no. I hate doing that, Toby was one of my favorite dogs.
I waited over a month watching emails closely - as I really wanted to find out who adopted Toby. I soon gave up on receiving a email and just emailed my AC, who forward my email down to the school.
I soon got this email back:
"Hi *****,
I heard back from the school with some exciting news. Toby's been adopted by ******* County Search and Rescue in Florida, which means he'll doing very important work! His handler's name is ******.
Good job!"
I've been waiting since December to post that email - but I wanted to make sure it would work out.
I just received this email this morning:
"We have just heard from the school - that the person who adopted Toby has decided to use him as a Search and Rescue dog for ******* county. What a great career for him. I'm really proud of you - this is a big win for Toby and I know he is going to make a big difference in his new job.
Thank you again for all you do for these puppies.
With much love
*** and *****"

To make a long story short...
Toby was adopted out - but instead of being adopted out as a pet (like we all thought) he was adopted by someone who decided to use him as a Search & Rescue dog - yes Toby will be working - not as a guide dog, not as a therapy dog, but as a Search & Rescue dog.

With the last email, I also received a PICTURE of Toby with his new handler/owner (pictured below). This was one thing I was really hoping for - as I really wanted to use it on his blog, so I hope you guys like it!
Though Toby isn't a guide dog as I hoped, I know he'll do amazing work with this program - and if something does go wrong, he'll do his best at whatever path he decides to take.

Thanks to all who kept through reading all his adventures (May 2009 - April 2010), we really appreciate all the comments you left for us, when we went through hard, good, and amazing times.
Hope all of you guys are having a great day - Rudy sure is... as it's SNOWING outside! (Pictures/movies coming soon).
Thanks for taking the time to read this! Congrats to all who guessed Search & Rescue would be Toby's new job!


Rudy's Raiser

Pictured below is of Toby & his new handler/ownerPicture of Toby in a sit-stay beside his new handler/owner. A silver/white Search and Rescue truck is behind them

14 comments:

Oskar said...

Hooray! That is such fantastic news! We know that your hard work training him will pay off in search & rescue.

Nubbin wiggles,
Oskar

houndstooth said...

I hope Toby will really enjoy his new career! We bet he'll be great at it!

Bunny

Anonymous said...

Great news! I hear that search and rescue is a lot of fun for the dogs.

Elyse (and Riley)

Maggie Mae and Max said...

OoH Yay!

I am so happy fur our furiend Toby!

Woofs and Licks,
Maggie Mae

Ruby's Raiser said...

I have tears in my eyes reading this post, such fantastic news! Toby is going to such have a wonderful life, you did a truly amazing job with him.

Reddunappy said...

That, is, just, awesome!!!!!!!!!!

Erin said...

That's super cool!!! So glad to hear he gets to do some work! Good for you *** :D

3 doxies said...

Wooooowhoooooo! Sorry, I knows you wanted him to be a guide dog but dis is still such an important job...he is gonna do great work! I hope you is proud.

I still miss him so much.

Puddles
PS: I knows it's hard to say no but I understand it's alot of responsibility to take on another doggie when you has Rudy

Lisa and pups said...

Congrats - that's awesome. S&R dogs are pretty darn awesome! I bet he will love his new career.

Meagan said...

Wow... this is an amazing story!!! Way to go Toby (and of course Toby's raiser :)

Love,
Meagan and Ellie May

Piappies World said...

Congratulations to you and Toby!

That's really wonderful news. We are happy just knowing that Toby is happy and has found his new home and a very important job.

We are hoping we can still get more news but we are just happy that he is doing really well.

We are sure that Rudy is also on his way to be as wonderful and talented as Toby!

Congratulations again to you!

Love,
Piappies Fudgie, Princess, Frappie, Mocha, Sugar, Wai-Pai, Wai-Max & Forgie

Sarah and Romeo said...

oh my gosh! How wonderful! Being released is always sad, but to be released and then back to "helping" people, wow!
Thanks for the update :)

Raiser Erin said...

Hooray for Toby!!!

L^2 said...

That's fantastic! I hope Toby enjoys his new career.